Thursday 26 March 2009

Wanted one new car to Bond with careful owner...

The day of reckoning looks as though it has finally come for my dear old Cabriolet.  We've been together for eight years, and spent many happy hours meandering through country lanes in search of the creative muse or powering up hills to watch the sun go down, or chasing dreams in quaint little places like Lulworth Cove or Moonfleet.  It has served me well, been to numerous concerts, picnics, arts events, weddings, funerals and celebrations.  BUT today after the MOT report, things could be better.  So although I am not a petrol head, I am on the hunt for another newer model of a Cabriolet, maybe with a tin top opening.   I feel somewhat disloyal that I am already considering a replacement, but seeing as monogamy and motors are not a match made in heaven, then I see no future in patching it up.

Funny how when things feel terminal we can compartmentalise; relationships are worth 'patching' up, motors are not; illnesses are, unless of course you're an animal and then maybe not (although I tried every form of revival with our family pets before making final decisions); favourite dress is, ripped jeans are not.   Many would say, 'it's a car, get over it' but it is not that easy. there is history between us.  Parts of it work absolutely fine and the engine is as sweet as a soft embracing psalm (were those lyrics in a song?),  but it is the bodywork that is starting to go (bit like me... absolutely hunky dory on the inside with everything working when it needs to, but could benefit from some exterior renovation).

Oh well, it is quite possible that I will know before the end of the day, but the search begins in earnest...

5 comments:

Kristen In London said...

I love your metaphors, Foxi! What you want is a Mini Cooper, convertible of course... for those country lanes.

Rosie Jones said...

Or an army tank...

Kristen In London said...

oh, are the lanes THAT rough? May I ask what darlin' vehicle you're picking me up in in Bath?? should I be frightened?

Rosie Jones said...

A hired Rover Freelander, nearly a mini tank but not quite. Hired for its luggage capacity for all the food and drink I intend to bring.

By the way my dear, did you know I cannot find your blog via google anymore. The shortlink I had posted returns it as Safari cannot find source. Have you changed your settings?

Kristen In London said...

hmmm, are you still having this problem? On the 30th for a brief while someone SQUATTED on my blog... I can't even explain it, but my brilliant husband figured it out, kicked them off and reinstated Kristen in London. I think it's all right now.