Friday 16 January 2009

Praise the Lord...

Life revolves around 'stuff'...
There are times in life when we receive a sharp message, it might remind us all that in spite of our plans and our rigorous planning, we don't always have the last say.

Thankfully, my mother's operation on her hip was a huge success, it was the complications which followed that were traumatic and threatening.  It brought home just how precious she is to me and that it is not always the cause but the effect which can turn our lives on their head but, surrounded by the right set of people, the effects can be minimised or better still remedied.  Lilian is now on the road to recovery in spite of the awful setbacks she has had to endure.  Seeing her so vulnerable and fragile made my heart weep for her, she knew how poorly she was but she is a fighter with the Dunkirk spirit about her.  It also reminded me life is not a dress rehearsal and if we want to live a full and colourful life, we should do so with gusto as if every moment counts and might be our last.

So on a more positive note, I am chanting my new Mantra which is now firmly set in my mind.
I have to 'display' myself soon. One of the tutors who had the unenviable task of teaching me during my return to mid-life education, made the whole experience memorable, fun and lively for us all. He and I have been friends now for nearly nine years (how time flies) and I have lived through the ups and downs of his turbulent love life with alarming regularity but I am delighted to say that last year he finally met his soul mate; a fabulous blond with an effervescent personality, coupled with the tenderness of angels.  I am thrilled I have been invited to their engagement party.   They are the ying and yang of life, two peas in a pod, the perfectly blended brew and I think the fact they are celebrating the occasion by holding a fancy dress engagement party, cements the fact they are both as mad as a box of frogs; in age at least, these are mature people.  

I have been left with the dilemma of choosing or inventing my costume.  For someone who would usually prefer to blend in rather than stand out, I have decided to be bold for once, remember - live every day as if it is your last?  If I am going to look stupid I might as well do it with style. Now I could leave you all guessing, but to be honest you will probably fall somewhere between 'Why should I be interested' or 'whatever', so I will tell you now which character I have selected in order to save myself the disappointment which might come with further indifference. 

Catwoman... for one night and one night only, I am going to be Catwoman.  I know, I know, I can hear you screaming at me already that I run the risk of either looking like Nessa from Gavin and Stacy or one of Dawn French's S & M sketch characters, but I shall be Catwoman, it is now in my head.  My only concern is that the party is in April, approximately 40 miles away in the New Forest and as my active imagination has now placed me stalking through the Forest as a result of a broken down car, frightening the wild livestock in my quest to find a signpost to let the breakdown people know where I am, the next visual image floating around in my head is the newspaper headlines the following day which would read 'Hampshire Post: Giant Panther sighted again'. I realise I spend far too much time living out scenes in my head creating my scripts; methinks there is a long term health warning hidden somewhere in there.  Images continued...I wonder if tranquility darts are painful? I suppose it is one way of getting your hands on some good carumba, or whatever they call it, although personally I would prefer a stiff... wait for it... gin and soda with a slice... Apart from the immediate fast track diet I will be following for the next three months, consisting of one tomato three times a day, I intend to pop up to town and visit three truly lovely new friends I met whilst on the Arvon food writing week, one of which is an avid visitor to HRH endorsed Rigby and Peller;  I will be signing up for one of their best Catwoman undergraments money can buy.  I do have a 'suck in, push up and stick out' little under number of my own, but last time I tried to wear it I gave myself a black eye on the final heave home as my hand slipped from the lycra and nearly rendered me unconcious. The outer garment will be more challenging, although a friend suggested Anne Summers as my starting point.  Any other suggestions on a postcard please. Otherwise you will be able to find me in Fabric Land purchasing volumes of black PVC and just enough yardage to make a matching bum bag, well I have to have somewhere to put my keys and my mobile phone!   For now at least, I am off to doodle some bespoke designs, just in case I cannot find bog standard off the peg.

;o)) for the special agent in my life, this might be construed as a maybe!

1 comment:

Kristen In London said...

so glad your mother is thriving! well done...