Wednesday 14 October 2009

The day finally dawns...

No images today, maybe later.

The moment of departure has arrived. My dear old car traded in for a much younger model. I feel like a disloyal friend who has found someone new to play with, but the truth is I need something more reliable; this means the old friend will have to retire in the playground where old motors go to pasture. It is my romanticised notion that the car will live out it days in a field somewhere, housing nesting birds, or homing forlorn foxes from wind and rain during a night of foraging for fancies. I cannot bear to think of the reality... stripped and dumped like a hooker outside a Loveless Motel...

10.30 and the deed will be done, adoption papers to the new owner, a fond farewell glance and a final outstretched finger to trace along her once sleek lines, like a mother relinquishing her treasured offspring... these are the emotions that will act as the catalyst for understanding, if not in a lesser way, the wrench a mother may have felt at having to give up her child, seduced by the promise of a better life. A writers' toolkit of emotion, stored in a brownie tin for resurrection another day, a faded memory, an act of final separation.

2 comments:

Pablo said...

I misread your post and thought you were writing about a "cat" not a "car." I was going to comment that I have a new dog in the household, and mean it literally, but I guess I won't now.

Rosie Jones said...

You can comment on your new dog... why not... I hold the title of grandmother to a wonderful puppy... Enjoy welcoming the new dog into the household... unless it is a euphemism for 'Her' indoors in which case, please don't draw her attention to this blog!!!
;))